Support for international colleagues

We’ve got lots of international colleagues in every area of the University and we're committed attracting, welcoming and supporting new staff from across the world.

We have a range of practical measures to support international colleagues on life in the UK and queries or concerns on immigration matters.

Support for your move to the UK

If you're thinking of applying for a job at Leeds and you'll need permission to work in the UK, you can download our quick guide below, which might be helpful.

Our dedicated website for international staff, Relocate@Leeds, is full of useful information about the University and moving to/living in Leeds and the surrounding area, as well as practical information about UK life. You might also find our Joining the University pages useful for when you arrive.

Buddy scheme for international staff

We've introduced a 'buddy' scheme for new international colleagues to help integration into UK, and University, life and culture. If you'd like to find out more information and get involved, please visit the Relocate@Leeds website.

International staff welcome event

Our Deputy Vice-Chancellor: International, Professor Hai-Sui Yu, hosts a twice yearly welcome reception for new international members of staff. These are by invitation only and are in addition to the all-staff ‘Welcome to Leeds’ session hosted by the Vice-Chancellor. You can download presentations from the most recent event below.

Staff networks

We have a number of staff networks across the University which you're welcome to join.

Regular events

The University runs various regular events which are mostly free, you don't need to book in advance and some are also open to your partner and children. Find out more on Relocate@Leeds.

Financial support

If you’re a new or current employee applying for a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent/Exceptional Promise) or Tier 2 visa (both original applications and extensions) or Indefinite Leave to Remain, we can reimburse the cost of your application. You can find further information about the reimbursement scheme here.

If you’re a new or current employee who wants to apply for the right to work in the UK for you and your dependants, we offer an interest free loan of up to £5,000 to help with the cost of application and legal fees. You'll find further information about the loan scheme here.

Evidence of employment and earnings

We’re happy to confirm the essential information needed for an indefinite leave to remain, permanent residence or citizenship application. Please contact the HR Operations: Systems & Admin team (tel 0113 343 4146 or email

If you need evidence of earnings, you can request duplicate P60s or monthly pay information from Employee Self Service – log in with your Windows username and password then:

• For payslips, click on Benefits and Payment, then Salary Statement

• For P60s, click on Personal Information, then Personal Profile, and click the P60 tab


As well as the updates on Brexit that we’ll continue to provide on the For Staff website, EEA colleagues might find the Universities UK’s Brexit FAQ webpage and the UK Government's Prepare for EU Exit pages useful.

We'll update you on news from UK Visas and Immigration on our UKVI News page.

Our relationship with Freeths Solicitors

Group legal briefing sessions

Led by Emma Brooksbank of Freeths Solicitors, these sessions are aimed at EEA nationals and focus on updates on Brexit and the EU settlement scheme. Check our Events page, the Events section of For Staff, staff notice boards, and the @UniLeedsStaff Twitter feed for dates and times.

You can download a copy of the slides used at Emma's most recent session below.

Individual consultations with an external immigration adviser - on campus

If you want to discuss personal queries, including those related to residence or citizenship applications, you can book 20-30 minutes with Emma, who spends a day at the University every couple of months. These meetings are open to all staff to book. Keep watching the same channels for further details about booking a consultation.

A list of planned group and individual sessions is available on the next page.

Preferential rates for legal advice - appointments at Freeths

If, after attending a legal briefing session and an individual consultation, you need further advice you can contact an external lawyer for detailed advice which would be followed up in writing (though this would be at your own expense). Of course you're free to contact any lawyer you choose, but we've negotiated preferential rates for University staff with Freeths.

Help with applications

Freeths' immigration team also provides specialist support on any immigration matter. Again, you're free to instruct any lawyer you choose but, if you do want to make an enquiry with Freeths, please contact Freeths directly to ask for a quote.

Brexit email update service

Freeths provides email update service (to register for updates, complete your details and select the "Brexit Briefings" option).

If you have any questions about any of above, or want HR support or advice, please contact your local HR hub.