Staff being bullied, harassed or victimised by another member of staff

If you believe you're being bullied, harrassed or victimised by another member of staff, there is a process outlined in the University's policy on dignity and mutual respect ("the policy"), which is summarised below. Wherever you find yourself in the process, you should seek support from your HR Manager.

Step 1

If this is a person who has management responsibility for you, consider whether this behaviour could be standard management practice. Section 6.1 of the policy might help you to differentiate.

Step 2

If your colleague's behaviour isn't standard management/learning and teaching practice, would you feel comfortable trying to resolve the issue informally? Section 7a of the policy will give you some ideas on how to go about this.

Step 3

If you don't feel you can resolve the issue informally, or you've already tried and this didn't work, would you consider mediation? The University's Mediation Service could help you, and section 7b of the policy goes into more detail.

Step 4

If you're not comfortable trying mediation, or it hasn't resolved the issue, the next step is to submit an informal complaint.  Section 7c of the policy will tell you how to do this.

Step 5

If your informal complaint hasn't resolved the issue, the final step in the process is to submit a formal complaint through the University's grievance procedures.  Section 7d of the policy advises how to go about this.

If you need help, support, advice or clarification throughout any of the process, please don't hesitate to contact your Faculty/Service HR department.