Updating your Equality Data in Self Service
How to update your Equality Data through Self Service
Staff equality monitoring information – why is it important?
The Equality Act 2010 requires all public authorities to adhere to the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED), which includes gathering staff data across all protected characteristics.
At University level, this information is collected to better understand the profile and diversity of our staff. In addition to helping us to determine our equality and inclusion (E&I) priorities, these data will enable us to undertake meaningful sector comparisons. It will also help to ensure that our policy, support and guidance framework is fit for purpose and reflects the needs of our staff community as well as help to more accurately calculate any pay gaps.
Most staff will have an equality data record already in the system, which should be checked and amended if incomplete or out of date. For a small number of staff we will have not captured these data and so will be required to create a new record. You can use the guides below to help you update your information.
To view or update an existing record:
1. Log into the Self Service system here (note, you will need to be logged into the Virtual Windows Desktop in order to access the system)
2. Go to Personal Information > Personal Profile
3. Click on the Equality Data tab
4. Click on the Pencil icon on the right of the screen
5. Update the information using the drop-down menus
6. Click Save and Back to complete
To create a new record (only available if there is not an existing record for you in the system):
1. Go to Personal Information > Personal Profile
2. Click on the Equality Data tab
3. Click on the “New” button to create a new record
4. Update the information using the drop-down menus
5. Click Save and Back to complete
Are my equality data secure?
The equality data are kept in an area of the University's HR system (SAP) which has exceptionally restricted access to ensure it’s totally confidential. The information we collect will only be used for statistical analysis - none of it will enable individuals to be identified. Equality data are not available in Manager Self Service. We recognise that for some staff the information requested may be sensitive and you may wish not to disclose this at this moment in time, so there is a ‘Prefer not to answer’ option for most questions. It does, however, help us to better understand staff experiences if you can complete as much of the information as possible.
Published on Thursday 14th January 2021