Roles and responsibilities
Everyone involved in the promotion process has a different role or responsibility, and these are outlined below.
- Provides support for your promotion application following a discussion with you.
- Can provide guidance on your ‘readiness’ to apply and on the best route/criteria for you to address.
- Can review early drafts of your application.
- Can undertake other roles such as verifier, panel chair, and panel member.
- Will usually be the Head of School (or equivalent) / Head of Service, or a person they nominate.
- Is the person who knows the most about you as the applicant and your role, and will verify that the application is an accurate reflection of your role.
Guidance for verifiers: Academic Staff Promotions
Guidance for verifiers: Support and P&M Staff Promotions
Executive Dean and Head of School/Service
- Agree the ongoing requirements for a (support/professional & managerial) role in line with Faculty/Service needs.
- Verify applications for promotion or nominate an appropriate person to do so.
- Can be a member or chair of a promotion panel.
- Facilitates the promotion panel’s discussion, making sure that application is judged fairly against the criteria for the higher grade.
- Reminds the promotion panel of equality and inclusion considerations.
- Records any declarations of interest from panel members.
- Facilitates a discussion if there is a difference of opinion, to help the panel members reach a consensus.
- Provides feedback to the applicant for an unsuccessful application.
- Consider an application for promotion against the criteria for the higher grade.
Independent panel members
- Ensure that there is University-wide consistency.
Appeal panel members
- Will consider the case put forward by an applicant appealing the outcome of their unsuccessful application.
You can download the full promotion process document here.