Other visa types

There are other options for someone who wants to come to the UK, though they do not permit what UKVI defines as 'work'.

Work includes (but is not limited to) the following:

  • paid and unpaid employment
  • paid and unpaid work placements undertaken as part of a course or period of study
  • self employment
  • engaging in business or any professional activity

If someone doesn't want to do any of that, the more common types of permission to enter and remain in the UK are:

  • Visitor visa: for those coming to the UK for a short time to, for example, engage in private research or attend a conference (you can download our guidance document below)
  • Student/Tier 4/Short Term Study: for students
  • Asylum seeker/refugee: for those who've left their country and aren't able to go back for fear of persecution