Joining the University – things you need to know

When you start working here there will be a lot for you to take in. This is some useful information that will help you to feel at home quicker.

First things first

Being paid

Payroll will need your P45 or P46 and National Insurance number so that you can be paid correctly. Payroll will send you a form for you to complete with details of your bank details so that your salary can be paid into the correct account.

Your first pay day will vary depending on how far into a calendar month you start work and what category of staff you are. If you want to find out when you will get your first salary please contact HR on extension 34146.


When you start work with us, you'll automatically be put into a pension scheme if you meet certain criteria. If you’re an academic or academic-related (professional and managerial) member of staff this will be the USS pension scheme. If you're a member of support staff, you won't be put into a pension scheme automatically until you've been working here for 3 months then, if you meet the relevant criteria, you'll be automatically enrolled in the DC Plan. However, you also have the option of joining the PAS scheme, which is a defined benefit scheme. More details about the benefits offered by these schemes can be found on our pensions pages.

If you join as a clinical member of staff and have been in the NHS scheme in the previous 12 months, you may be able to join the NHS pension scheme while you are employed here.

If you don’t want to join a pension scheme, contact the Pensions Department on 0113 343 4146.

Staff ID card

To request a staff ID card, please log on to the University of Leeds Staff Printing webpage using your university login details. Select ID card, click order, complete the online form with your details and upload your photo. Your card can be collected when you receive a confirmation email that it is ready. 

Induction and training

You will have an induction with your School/Service at which you will get information on things like the local structure and culture, training opportunities, health and safety, equality and inclusion and the Staff Review and Development Scheme. You can also book a place on the University welcome event session which is run by Organisational Development and Professional Learning (OD&PL) (formerly SDDU).


You may have told us that you were disabled when you applied and accepted your job here by completing your ‘equality monitoring form’. However, this on its own won't prompt discussion about adjustments you might need. If you feel you need any adjustments or have a disability-related query, you can talk to your manager or your local HR Manager/Officer or contact the Equality and Inclusion Unit.