Joining the University – things you need to know

When you start working here there will be a lot for you to take in. This is some useful information that will help you to feel at home quicker.

First things first

Being paid

Payroll will need your P45 or P46 and National Insurance number so that you can be paid correctly. Payroll will send you a form for you to complete with details of your bank details so that your salary can be paid into the correct account.

Your first pay day will vary depending on how far into a calendar month you start work and what category of staff you are. If you want to find out when you will get your first salary please contact HR on extension 34146.


When you start work with us, you'll automatically be put into a pension scheme if you meet certain criteria. If you’re an academic or academic-related (professional and managerial) member of staff this will be the USS pension scheme. If you're a member of support staff, you won't be put into a pension scheme automatically until you've been working here for 3 months then, if you meet the relevant criteria, you'll be automatically enrolled in the DC Plan. However, you also have the option of joining the PAS scheme, which is a defined benefit scheme. More details about the benefits offered by these schemes can be found on our pensions pages.

If you join as a clinical member of staff and have been in the NHS scheme in the previous 12 months, you may be able to join the NHS pension scheme while you are employed here.

If you don’t want to join a pension scheme, contact the Pensions Department on 0113 343 4146.

Staff ID card

To request a staff ID card, please log on to the University of Leeds Staff Printing webpage using your university login details. Select ID card, click order, complete the online form with your details and upload your photo. Your card can be collected when you receive a confirmation email that it is ready. 

Induction and training

You will have an induction with your School/Service at which you will get information on things like the local structure and culture, training opportunities, health and safety, equality and inclusion and the Staff Review and Development Scheme. You can also book a place on the University welcome event session which is run by Organisational Development and Professional Learning (OD&PL) (formerly SDDU).


You may have told us that you were disabled when you applied and accepted your job here by completing your ‘equality monitoring form’. However, this on its own won't prompt discussion about adjustments you might need. If you feel you need any adjustments or have a disability-related query, you can talk to your manager or your local HR Manager/Officer or contact the Equality and Inclusion Unit.

Further information you might find useful when you start

Staff benefits

To see what’s available, visit the benefits and discounts page. As well as holidays, maternity and paternity and sickness leave, there are a wide range of benefits available through the Benefits+ scheme. These include Pensions +, childcare, travel and lifestyle benefits, and even help if you have a short-term financial crisis. You can find out more information here

Trade unions

There are three official campus trade unions: UCU, UNISON and Unite. You can join any trade union although membership isn’t compulsory.

Staff accommodation

If you're moving to Leeds to work at the University, we can help you with staff accommodation.

International staff

If you're coming to work at the University from another country, we have help and advice for international staff on the HR website and Relocate@Leeds

Research staff

If you're starting a research job with us, you might find the information on support for researchers useful.

Equality and inclusion

We are a multi-cultural community, valuing diversity, and determined to make sure:

  • that we treat everyone fairly, with dignity and respect;
  • that the opportunities we provide are open to everyone;
  • that we provide a safe, supportive and welcoming environment for staff, students and visitors.

We promote diversity and inclusiveness through a range of activities and initiatives, for example, we have childcare, prayer and contemplation facilities, a range of flexible working initiatives and a range of staff networks. Further information can be obtained from the Equality and Inclusion Unit.


As a new member of staff, you can request a mentor to support you here

Car parking

The University of Leeds is committed to reducing emissions and congestion and as such encourages staff, students and visitors to find sustainable travel options to get to the University. Parking at the University is limited, but staff can find out more about parking on campus, including for Blue Badge holders, on the Estates and Facilities website or by calling Car Parking on extension 35491 or by email at


Sustainable transport

Leeds has a compact city centre and good public transport services, making it easy to get around whether you're on foot, bike or using the bus, and encouraging these sustainable transport options is at the heart of our travel plans. Our aim is to become a University with a reputation for outstanding performance on sustainability and we're a strong supporter of alternative travel options for staff. You can find information on local transport, travel pass discounts, campus bike hire and walking routes, as well as other information about our Travel Plan here.

Catering on campus

The main dining area in the University is the Refectory, next to the Student Union building. The Refectory sells a range of hot and cold food and is open seven days a week, and there are also a number of cafés on campus.


You can borrow books and other materials from any of the University libraries using your staff ID card, for up to three months if you’re support staff, and up to six months if you’re academic or academic related (professional and managerial) staff.

Sports facilities

There are various sports facilities at the University, including The Edge which has a swimming pool, a state of the art gym, and fitness classes. There are different levels of membership, all at excellent rates.

Security of personal belongings

You need to take personal responsibility for all of your personal possessions or other property, including vehicles, which you bring onto the University premises. We don’t take responsibility for any personal items which are lost, stolen or damaged whilst on University premises.

Data protection

Our code of practice on data protection is available here.