Supporting international staff - immigration from 2021
The UK's immigration system is changing in two ways from 1 January 2021: free movement with the EU will end, and a new visa system for skilled workers will be introduced.
On the following pages, we'll try to explain how these changes will affect both new and existing staff so that you're better equipped to support them. We'll use a mix of case studies and details of the Immigration Rules.
You can browse through the pages by clicking "Next" below, or click on one of the following links:
- The 'headlines'
- Existing Swiss employee, UK resident for 7 years
- New EEA employee, UK resident from December 2020
- New employee, non-EEA/Swiss family member of an EEA national
- Potential new EEA employee, start date in 2021
- Research Assistant needing a Skilled Worker Visa
- Teaching Fellow needing a Skilled Worker Visa
- IT role needing a Skilled Worker Visa
These pages are a work in progress - we'll be adding scenarios and circumstances as we come across them. If you have a particular scenario or set of circumstances which aren't covered here, please contact your local HR hub.