Immigration reimbursement scheme

If you're a new or current international employee who needs permission from the UK Government to allow you to live in the UK and work at the University of Leeds, we can help with the cost.

Our scheme has covered the cost of an online/postal application for a Tier 2 visa from the beginning, but we've extended this to include applications for:

  • Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent/Exceptional Promise) visas (including the cost of endorsement)
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain (including costs for both the Life in the UK test and English language test or UK NARIC fee as appropriate)

To be eligible, you'll need to have applied for your leave to enter or remain on or after the following dates:

Permission type Visa application on or after
An initial Tier 2 visa 1 August 2017
An extension/renewal of a Tier 2 visa  1 August 2017
An initial Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent/Exceptional Promise) visa 8 November 2018
An extension/renewal of a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent/ Exceptional Promise) visa 8 November 2018
Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK 8 November 2018

There's a guidance document at the bottom of this page which explains the scheme in detail, and step by step instructions on how to reclaim the cost will be available soon.

If you need financial help with other costs relating to immigration, such as dependant visas/settlement, the NHS surcharge or UK NARIC fees, we might be able to help with an interest free loan. You can find out more on our interest free loan web page.

If you apply, or have applied, for pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme before 30 March 2019, the fee you paid will be automatically refunded to the credit/debit card you used by the UK Government, so you don’t need to apply for reimbursement from the University. If you apply on or after 30 March 2019, you won’t be charged a fee.

If you need any additional guidance please contact your local Faculty/Service Human Resources team or email