This document explains the employment status groups for individuals working at the University. It also tells you how employment status is determined.
- There are three employment groups determined by employment law; employee, worker or self-employed.
- An individual providing work activities for the University will fall within one of these employment groups.
- The appropriate employment status group will depend on the working relationship between the University and the individual. Points to consider include:
- Is there is a contract between the University and the individual?
- Does the individual need to provide services personally?
- The degree of control over the service provided: who decides when and how the work is done?
- Is there is a mutuality of obligation on behalf of the University or the individual, i.e. whether work has to be offered and carried out.
- To determine if someone is self employed, an HMRC Employment Status Service (ESS) tool check needs to be completed.