Other visa types

There are other options for someone who wants to come to the UK from outside the EEA/Switzerland, though they don't permit what UKVI defines as work.

Work includes (but is not limited to) the following:

  • paid and unpaid employment
  • paid and unpaid work placements undertaken as part of a course or period of study
  • self employment
  • engaging in business or any professional activity

If someone doesn't want to do any of that, the more common types of permission to enter and remain in the UK are:

  • Visitor visa: for those coming to the UK for a short time to, for example, engage in private research or attend a conference (see guidance document below for paths and permitted activities)
  • Points Based System Dependant: for family members of Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4 (student) and Tier 5 visa holders
  • Tier 4 or Short Term Study: for students
  • Asylum seeker/refugee: for those who've left their country and aren't able to go back for fear of persecution