Hours of work for postgraduate students
This document tells you how many hours you can work in an academic year if you are a full time postgraduate research student.
- Full-time postgraduate research students may undertake paid teaching activities at the University, but are subject to a limit of 250 hours per session.
- A session is a period of 12 months from 01 September 31 August.
- The limit of 250 hours includes preparation, marking, and other paid activity directly related to their training or related professional activity.
- Full-time students who wish to undertake paid activities beyond 250 hours should discuss with their supervisor whether any teaching or other work undertaken will adversely affect the time available for the conduct of the research.
- International students are limited to doing a maximum of 20 hours a week during term time and full-time during vacations.