This policy explains the reasons for which you might be able to take a career break from work and what you need to be eligible to apply.
- A career break can be between three months and three years and is a short period of time where you decide not to work for example because you want to travel or spend time with children.
- You need at least 12 months' service at the University to apply.
- The need to complete an application form and this should be submitted to your Head of School/Service at least six months before your proposed start date.
- Career breaks will count towards continuous service but won't count as reckonable service for pensions, increments, sick leave, annual leave, maternity leave and redundancy rights.
- You need to tell us when you are returning to work. You will return to the same or comparable terms and conditions (including being on the same grade).