Statute VII and its related Ordinances set out the procedures that apply to academic and academic related (professional & managerial) staff for the resolution of grievances, and for dismissal, removal from office and redundancy.
Weve been working for some time to reform Statute VII and its related Ordinances, and amendments were agreed by the Universitys governing body, the Council, in May 2017 and ratified by the Privy Council in April 2018. The amended Statute and related Ordinances were implemented with effect from 1 January 2019.
The related Ordinances, which set out applicable procedures, can be found using the links below:
- Termination of non-substantive appointment
- Resolution of substantial employment issues
The changes introduced:
- reflect good, modern employment practice in keeping with the ACAS code of practice,
- are designed to be readily understandable and transparent, and to ensure fair and timely decisions are reached following thorough consideration of issues, and
- provide greater protections for the principle of academic freedom.
If you have any questions about Statute VII or its Ordinances, please contact your HR Manager in the first instance. You can download guidance for managers on the conduct procedure below, and we'll be adding further guidance on the capability and grievance procedures in due course.
For details of procedures relating to support staff, visit the support staff procedure agreement web page.