We can use Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) of the points based system to apply for permission to engage sponsored researchers from outside the EEA.
Sponsored researchers are normally paid by other organisations and do not receive any salary from us. They can be given permission to stay for up to 24 months but must:
- be taking part in sponsored research;
- not be filling a genuine vacancy;
- be coming to do work which is in addition to our normal staffing needs;
- be able to support themselves (and any dependants) without recourse to public funds;
- intend to leave the UK at the end of their visit.
You should complete the Tier 5 CoS application form and send it with the required paper work to the Central HR Team who will apply for the CoS. They will give the sponsored researcher the CoS number to apply for their own visa (and any dependants).