Tier 4 visas - students

Students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) gain permission to come to the UK to study under Tier 4 of the Points Based System (PBS).

Students holding a valid Tier 4 visa and studying here have permission to work:

  • for up to 20 hours per week during term time;
  • full time during vacations;
  • in a work placement as part of a course;
  • as a postgraduate doctor or dentist on a recognised foundation programme;
  • as a student union sabbatical officer for up to two years;
  • full time when they have finished their course and are waiting for the outcome of an application to work here (at the University of Leeds) under Tier 2 of the PBS. The application must have been made before the expiry of the Tier 4 visa.

All students subject to a Tier 4 visa who are offered work here must read and sign the student declaration form below for each engagement.

There is information about permission to work for students on lower level courses (e.g. most Further Education college courses) on the UK Visas and Immigration website.