This document gives guidance for Schools, Services and Institutes taking on work experience students.
- Work experience placements must be planned in advance, including making appropriate health and safety checks and informing safety supervisors.
- If your student is under the age of 16, a specific risk assessment needs to be done.
- The work experience student must be given a thorough induction on starting a placement.
- Under the Working Time Regulations 1998, students on work experience should not work for more than five days in any consecutive seven day period or be asked to work more than an eight hour day.
- There should be no payment for work performed. Other out of pocket expenses, such as travelling expenses, may be reimbursed.