Visiting academic staff not employed by the University

This policy sets out the titles which can be granted and what process you need to follow to give someone a visiting title. 

  • Visiting titles can be given to individuals who contribute to teaching, research and other activities.
  • Titles available are Visiting Research Assistant, Visiting Research Fellow, Visiting Lecturer and Visiting Professor.  For non professorial visitors, “Senior” can be added to the title by agreement between the Faculty and Human Resources.
  • Visitors are not employees and are usually unpaid.
  • Overseas visitors should make their own visa arrangements to enter the UK.
  • Bench fees may be charged.
  • You should get approval from the Dean of Faculty or Head of School/Service to give someone a visiting title.