The University is committed to the health and wellbeing of our staff, students and visitors. As part of this, we're taking the first step on a journey to create a campus which is free from tobacco smoke and where smoking is seen as unusual.
The policy gives you information about smoking and vaping on University grounds and in its buildings and vehicles. It applies to all staff, students, visitors and contractors and covers all types of smoking and vaping products (including cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, and e-cigarettes).
- The current policy applies until 31 July 2019. The updated policy will apply from 1 August 2019.
- In both the current policy and the updated policy, you must not smoke in University buildings including entrances, covered walkways and doorways, or in vehicles when used for University business.
- In the updated policy, from 1 August 2019, between 8am and 6pm you will be asked not to smoke on the Smokefree campus.
- For the time being, we will be sympathetic to vaping on the Smokefree campus.
- Free support is currently available on campus to help staff and students who would like to quit smoking (see link below).
Thank you to all who shared questions and ideas on how we can support you with the implementation of the updated policy. We are now working on some FAQs and good practice guidelines, which will be published here in June 2019. In the meantime if you have any other questions or issues please send these to the Smokefree team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 34 39737 (ext. 39737).