We have a legal responsibility to prevent illegal working in the UK. This guidance explains how we can make sure we comply with the law.
- We have to check everyone's proof of right to work in the UK before they can start working here.
- If we employ someone who doesn't have the right to work in the UK we can be fined and if this is done knowingly then there could also be a prison sentence.
- If someone has limited leave to remain (e.g. because they are from overseas and have a visa to work here) then we have to check their proof of right to work every year.
- There are lists of documents which count as proof of right to work.
- You should also use the guidance on employing overseas' nationals.